My vice and vision, a version of verisimilitude...only because when I write I'm in that funky kind of mood

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pool Shark

Billiards is humankind’s greatest invention after the wheel. Screw airplanes, Iphones, immunizations, forks and knives. Pool trumps them all.

You see, billiards is the perfect expression of my feminism. I love to play with the boys, just mess with me and I’ll hand you your ass. And then, when you feel ashamed that you just lost to a girl and begin to address me as “young lady” or try to teach me how to play after I just beat you senseless, I will bite your head off and hand you that too, just to match your ass.

Additionally, pool allows me to be a cosmopolitan. While it may be associated with the laboring classes and barflies, it is played by these classes almost universally. I have played pool in almost every country I have visited, played with people with whom I did not share a language, and fully attempted to map every pool table between L.A and Edinburgh. The one pictured here is in Old Mesilla, New Mexico.

jen pool

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny, your mom sent me your way. Welcome to blogging. I see you are in Hotlanta! I used to live in Cordele, GA -- very small town a couple of hours away. Hope you are having a great weekend. Stay cool! :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Tammy! Its nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete