My vice and vision, a version of verisimilitude...only because when I write I'm in that funky kind of mood

Friday, November 26, 2010

Why I Love New Orleans

I arrived in New Orleans on Wednesday night to visit my mom for Thanksgiving. Every time I come here, I remember how much I love this place.  Here are a few reasons:

First, its late November and its humid. I know I am here when I smell the salt air and feel the humidity in the car. This Thanksgiving I have been thankful for the nice weather in New Orleans. Considering that I got locked out of my mom's house last night and had to sleep in my truck, I was very thankful that she doesn't live somewhere cold, because sleeping outside would have been miserable otherwise.

Second, people in New Orleans are really friendly. If people in Atlanta were half as cool as they are here, I would probably like my life there a lot better. But they suck. As such, I am always happy to come and visit my mom here. Folks here are very welcoming and happy to meet new people. No one gave me a hard time when I played pool yesterday and I appreciated that. I was immediately invited to join a game of (3 player) cut throat when I put my quarters up, and became engulfed in the jolly shenanigans that usually ensue when you hang with a big group of drunk people. Good times.

New Orleans is a big city with a small town kind of feel. Not the backwards marry your cousin kind of small town feel, but the "its nice to meet you, come to my house for turkey dinner and meet my grandparents" type of vibe.

Tomorrow then plan is to drag my mom to get some beignets, do some shopping, and check out some live music. As for now, I am happy that I am not locked out of the house and can go to sleep in a big comfy bed.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you didn't have to go back to Atlanta....have they ever heard of distance learning? lol
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete