My vice and vision, a version of verisimilitude...only because when I write I'm in that funky kind of mood

Saturday, October 23, 2010

It Gets Better Project



Like many others, I was shocked to hear of the suicides of Tyler Clementi and other young boys who suffered homophobia and abuse by their peers for being gay. I am very pleased at the level of protest and public outcry that is aiming to do something about this wave of suicides. While I am very aware of the critiques of the It Gets Better Project, I think that offering hope to isolated teens throughout the U.S via YouTube and Facebook is a step in the right direction. I have read a number of articles that are critical of Obama and the project overall, but the point is to help kids get through the difficult years of high school alive. Although they may continue to face injustices throughout their lives, at least during adulthood people can find networks and communities that offer stronger support than these kids had. In spite of the fact that I often accuse my generation of political apathy, once in a while, I am surprised and impressed by our ability to mobilize. Perhaps the days of marching in the streets are on the wane, and the internet is our new space of protest and solidarity.

It Gets Better



No comments:

Post a Comment