My vice and vision, a version of verisimilitude...only because when I write I'm in that funky kind of mood

Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Passover Question

 

matzo

As the youngest of four children, I was often charged with the task of asking the Four Questions at our family’s Passover Seder. Years later, when there is little chance that I will be the youngest in attendance again, one of the Four Questions remains in my mind: Why is this night different from all other nights?

As a graduate student who is attempting to stake my claim in the scholarly world with great difficulty, I find myself asking: Why is my dissertation different from all other dissertations?

To be honest, I haven’t the slightest clue. My proposal is due on Friday and I am stuck. I lack motivation, inspiration, and other things that end in “-ation”. Although I have plenty of preparation, I consistently proceed with trepidation as the days continue to pass me by.

I feel like a Jew in the desert waiting for intellectual mana to fall from the sky. For now, all I have is virtual matzo and an unwritten prospectus draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment