My vice and vision, a version of verisimilitude...only because when I write I'm in that funky kind of mood

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Grappling with WikiLeaks

The immense hype concerning WikiLeaks drew me to the site today to see what this is all about.

Because the site has limited search functions, I was unsure where to begin. Like a moth to the flame I  went to the Mexico page to see if there was any new information I could use for my dissertation. There wasn't a single thing about the narcotics conflict in Juarez that I wasn't already aware of, and I read all of the available information.

However, I did get quite an unexpected laugh from one of the wires. This confidential document described a 2010 conference between Latin American heads of state as " dominated by press accounts of ALBA country theatrics and their usual proclivity towards third world, anti-imperialist rhetoric. Nothing practical was achieved".

It wasn't this part that made me laugh, but a detailed description of an altercation between Hugo Chavez (Venezuela) and Uribe (Columbia):
 
"Chavez reacted emotionally accusing Colombia of having sent assassination squads to kill him and ended a verbal and physical tirade with “You can go to hell; I am leaving (the lunch).” Uribe responded, “Don’t be a coward and leave just to insult me from a distance.” Verbal and body language continued to escalate, until Raul Castro stepped in to urge civilized discussion."

Who would have thought that Fidel's little brother was a peacemaker?

(As a disclaimer, I am still unsure how I feel about this website and if it compromises the U.S or not. I am not promoting or condemning it: I am ambivalent at this point and need to learn more)

What do you think of WikiLeaks? Please leave a comment and help me decide how to feel about this.

2 comments:

  1. it's not quite the singularity, but it may be the beginning of the next level. of course "our" secrete diplomatic cables are important, but if this guy, and/or his journalistic endeavor can't or won't or doesn't provide us with secret bullshit from other countries, and more importantly, the multi-meta national corporations and banks and financial concerns, then wikileaks wont really matter. "we" are the fall of the roman empire, or the ching dynasty, or the last of the pharoahs, or glasnost and peristroika, or the death of alexander and kublai khan. fucking with the U.S. is easy. We're the goddamn Titanic.

    ReplyDelete